I’ve done it again, I’ve done it and there’s no going back. I signed up to bare it all, and bare it all while running one and a half miles. This time, I’m not only doing it to help end NF (neurofibromatosis), we’re doing it for our dear friend Amy through the North Iowa Bloggers team #AmysGift. Yup, thats right, 5 of us stripping down to our skivvies to run for charity and run for Amy.
Now, when one is on the brink of deciding whether or not to run in their skivvies there is much to contemplate. Like, how crazy am I? In Iowa? The average temp is 30 degrees in February! WAIT, I’m doing this in undies!? Can I have a drink.. or five!? What in the HELL am I thinking? I can’t even stand wearing a swim suit let alone be seen in public wearing my undies! Now the question has turned into not, “What the HELL am I thinking?!” but rather, “How crazy do you have to be to do this?!” The answer is simple, you just DO IT. No questions asked, no judging, no second thoughts. You do it for the kids who have this horrible disease and this year, we’re doing it for Amy.
This event was actually the last time I saw my friend Amy alive. The high for the day was -5 and it was windy, we were waiting in my car for the doors to open and all I could focus on was how cold and nervous I was for the race. They ended up shortening the race for us and we all had a wonderful time!
After you’ve actually made the commitment to do this and help others by bearing it all, there’s some things you should know (obviously). Here are some tips that will help prepare you for your first Undie Run.
1. They offer booze at this event for a reason, consume them and consume them wisely.
2. Dress in layers, I hate running and I hate running in the cold even more. I’m not one of those, “HELL-YEAH-LETS-BARE-IT-ALL-AND-FREEZE-OUR-ASS-OFF” runners. I wear the undies OVER my insulated leggings. Work smart, not hard. 😉
3. NO JUDGING. Everyone is doing this for the greater good and no matter how they decide to do it shouldn’t be our business. Just simply look the other way.
4. Round up and wear all the crazy Valentine’s Day garb you can. This makes it more fun and doesn’t make you look like a party pooper when your friend wants to take a selfie.
5. HAVE FUN! Seriously. Don’t be a party pooper worrying what everyone else is thinking about you.
Lastly, our team is raising funds for NF AND we’re raising funds in Amy’s name. If you feel so inclined to donate we would greatly appreciate it! You can donate here: https://my.cupids.org/register.asp?ref=79134
Want to join us? It’s not too late! Sign up for Cupid’s Undie Run today!